Fear is the mind-killer! So lets all understand what this new order is all about.
New DOE Delhi order dated 19th Dec 2016 issued for Nursery Admissions in Delhi for session 2017-2018 is bit confusing, and here I have simplified this for you in 3 simple steps -
Step I) This new circular is applicable only for -
- Families that do NOT belong to Economically Weaker Section (EWS) or Disadvantaged Group (DG) categories
- Only for admissions to Private, Unaided and Recognized Schools of Delhi
- Nursery Admissions in Delhi for session 2017-2018
- Schools that are NOT constructed on DDA land (there are 285 schools in Delhi that are on DDA land)
- Schools that are NOT run by government
Step II) In short -
- SOME GOOD NEWS! - This order is NOT applicable for about 50% of the "well-known" schools of Delhi as they are constructed on DDA land (Yes!), these schools (total 285 of them) must admit 75% of students from neighborhood. Detailed guidelines will be released by DOE in coming days.
- MORE GOOD NEWS! - This order is applicable for all other Private Schools of Delhi, and most of those are either Small-Mid sized Private Schools, or they are one of those 5-7 star category schools of Delhi that have their own land.
Step III) Bit of BAD news. We all make mistakes, every system has loopholes, so does this order (that has mistakes and loopholes)
Point#7 in the order refers to DOE order issued on 06-01-2016 (No. F.DE.15/Act-l/4607/l3/2015/5686-5696), which states that schools shall not adopt criteria abolished in that old order, the problem is that the original list had 62 criteria, but new order has restricted use of 51 criteria hence leaving open several disputed ones, here are few criteria that schools may use to their advantage -
- Points for management quota - old order leaves room for this by stating "However, if required, the children of the staff and the children of the members of the Management Committee can be given admission by making it a criterion and assigning points"
- Special ground (parents with proficiency in specific areas of art etc)
- First child
- School transport users
Although there would only be 25% seats that schools can fiddle with, and we hope DOE fixes this loophole to ensure admission process is fair ever.
Here is the admission schedule as published in the order :